The Willamette Valley Legislative Fellowship is a competitive 11-week Late-Summer/Early-Fall fellowship hosted by Representative Dan Rayfield. Each fellow will be given the opportunity to research and develop policies for the 2019 legislative session, learn from leaders in Oregon through a unique guest speaker series, and learn about campaigning through assisting statewide legislative campaigns. After completion of the Fellowship, participants will be equipped with the skills to work in politics. Check out the 2016 Fellowship here.
The 2018 application period has closed
- Fellowship will take place over an 11-week period from August 20, 2018 to November 5, 2018.
- Fellows will be required to partake in fellowship activities on a weekly basis
- Workshops/Guest-Speaker Series: will be scheduled on a weekly basis. Some weeks, subject matter experts in Oregon will host workshops on various topics (i.e. policymaking, communication, campaigning, fundraising, etc.). Other weeks we will spend time practicing skills learned previously or developing groups' policies.
- Policy Groups: Fellows will work in a group or groups throughout the fellowship to develop a policy concept for a specific area of interest. The group that develops the best policy proposal during the fellowship will have the opportunity to introduce their idea in the 2019 legislative session.
- Staffing Campaign Events: Fellows will staff campaign events held throughout the state. They will have the opportunity to network with other representatives and candidates seeking legislative office, and assist in their campaigns. Transportation will be provided.
- Workshops will begin or end with a one-hour check-in with Representative Rayfield and the team of fellows. Fellows will have the opportunity to provide feedback regarding that week's schedule and will additionally be briefed on upcoming political strategy and goals. In addition, they will update the staff on the progress they are making with their individualized/subgroup projects.
- Workshop 1: Introduction/Orientation/Dinner
- Workshop 2: Developing and drafting legislation
- Workshop 3: Campaign Field Training -- Developing scripts, organizing, volunteer strategy, canvassing, etc.
- Workshop 4: Voter Database Targeting and Training
- Workshop 5: Campaign Fundraising Training
- Workshop 6: Communications Training
Goals/Benefits for Fellows:
- Provide fellows with a practical, hands-on experience that will empower them to pursue career opportunities in legislative policy, government administration, and campaign organization
- Fellows will learn tangible job skills and will develop professional networks with influential stakeholders throughout the State
- Fellows will be exposed to the full range of skills necessary to develop smart policy and run a political campaign
- Fellows will partake in a uniquely crafted curriculum consisting of professional workshops, a guest-speaker series, and staffing of 4 campaign events throughout the state
- Fellows will learn how to build a professional network and meet experienced leaders in career fields that interest them
- Upon completing the program, fellows will have the opportunity to develop professional references and influential leaders and decision makers who can assist them in starting their careers
- A time commitment of one night per week and staffing 5 events:
- Workshops will occur every week on a weeknight chosen based on fellows availability for 3 hours. During these workshops, will be guest speakers, trainings, and professional development.
- Students will commit to staffing 5 half-day campaign events that will occur on Saturdays during September and October.
- Fellows must be interested in pursuing a college degree
- Preferred Experience:
- An interest in policy and the political environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well with others in a collaborative process
- Ability to complete work independently
- The application process will open April 23rd, 2018, and will close June 1st, 2018
- Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter indicating why they are applying for the fellowship to Tony Lapiz at Tony@danrayfield.com
- Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview within a week of their application submission.
- Fellowship will begin the week of August 20, 2018