The Willamette Valley Legislative Fellowship is a competitive 11-week fellowship hosted by Representative Dan Rayfield during the 2020 General Election. Students will work on legislative campaigns across the state, develop policy concepts for the upcoming 2021 legislative session, and participate in a unique guest-speaker series with policy and campaign experts.
Benefits for Participants:
- $500 stipend - Provided to participants who complete all fellowship requirements.
- Develop skills to draft successful policy - Expose fellows to the diverse skills needed to develop policy and pass legislation.
- Gain experience to run a winning legislative campaign - Provide fellows useful experience, empowering them to pursue a future in campaign organization and more.
- Learn skills and techniques from top professionals - Offer fellows a uniquely crafted curriculum consisting of professional workshops, a guest-speaker series, and staffing of campaign events.
- Build professional network - Assist fellows in building a professional network of experienced leaders in various fields of interest.
- Fellowship will take place over an 11-week period from August 17th, 2020 to November 3rd, 2020.
- Fellows will partake in activities weekly:
- Workshops/Guest-Speaker Series: Workshops will be scheduled one night a week.
- Policy Groups: Fellows will work in a group or groups throughout the fellowship to develop a policy concept. The strongest proposal will be drafted by Representative Rayfield’s office for consideration during the 2021 Legislative Session.
- Staffing Campaign Events: Fellows will staff campaign events held throughout the state. They will have the opportunity to network with other representatives and candidates seeking legislative office and develop useful campaign experience. Transportation and food will be provided.
- Workshops will include a one-hour check-in with Representative Rayfield and the team of fellows. In addition, they will update the staff on the progress they are making with their group policy projects.
- A time commitment of one night per week and staffing a minimum of nine events throughout the duration of the fellowship.
- Workshops will occur every week on a weeknight chosen based on fellows' availability for 3 hours. During these workshops, there will be guest speakers, trainings, and professional development.
- Fellows will commit to staffing nine half-day campaign events that will occur on Saturdays or Sundays going from September to November.
- Interest in pursuing a college degree
- Preferred Experience:
- Political interest
- Written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well with others in a collaborative process
- Ability to complete work independently
- The application process will open April 20th, 2020 and will close May 15th, 2020.
- Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview within a week of their application submission.
- The fellowship will begin the week of August 17th, 2020.
Please contact Ryann Fadden at Ryann@DanRayfield.com with any questions!